July 26, 2017
Meeting opened with prayer and pledge of allegiance.
Consent agenda approved: CDS mylars, vouchers, acknowledgement of variance reports, acceptance of public trustee’s quarterly report & treasurer’s 6 month report, liquor license approved for Singing Hills Liquor and Western Trails Steakhouse
DEPARTMENT HEAD/STAFF REPORTS
-Kyle Fenner, CDS, reported that Planning Commission had given unanimous approval to recommend approval of Independence development; packets to BOCC with updates by 8/17/17.
-Kyrei Zion, Finance Department, reported that Bison Oil and Gas sent check to the county for $89,000+ for oil/gas lease on county owned land; deposited in Road and Bridge fund.
-Jerri Spear, HHS, recognized 2 employees for outstanding work
-Mary Louise Jacobsen - invited citizens to EC Fair August 1-6; spoke about royalty involvement/activities with county fair
-Bart Greer is the new county attorney; has previously been atty for HHS in EC
OPEN PUBLIC COMMENT - None
- Hoo House update: dropped price - several more showings and more interest
- Water Study Update: Will Koger (Forsgren) reported that EC will need to import water in the future; looking at cost benefit analysis of importing water to the county - i.e. pipelines; public workshop #3 is August 29 @6:30 at the fairgrounds; “exporting water is not part of the analysis” - only transfer of water they are looking at is transfer of water into the county; 2050 population of EC projected to be 68,000
- 2018 Budget Update: Rick Pettit reported that all budgets have been received from departments; August 8 set to go through budgets with dept heads; August 24 dept heads will meet with elected officials to work on budget; ending balance for 2017 looking “pretty good.”
- Marlene Grove expressed her disappointment that citizens have not been involved in the budget process (Editorial comment: all 3 commissioners campaigned on importance of creating a Citizen Budget Committee….obviously not happening now. Citizens are not allowed to have input in staff budget sessions).
- Building permit fees for commercial solar installations, radio towers, pipelines: plan to have changes before BOCC by September 16; expecting $1.5 million fee from wind farm - plan to implement this fee structure for all industrial activities in the county
- Building permits: Faith Mehrer introduced 2 new building department policies - exhaust air change, roofing (25% of damage on roof requires entire roof replacement - instead of 5 squares of damage)
- Election IGA/MOU: Dallas Schroeder, County Clerk, reported that templates presented to BOCC outline duties of special districts and county - asked that clerk be entitled to execute these documents. Moved to action item and accepted as presented.
- Little Britches Rodeo: their board member asked for special consideration for their club - costs are too high for fairground usage and service is lacking in EC; been having these rodeos for over 20 years here; would like to remain here; would like county to perform more services to ground - safety issues for horses; commissioners would like to review this more fully in a study session
- Approval of 7/12/17 & 7/19/17 minutes
- Approval of final 2016 audit results: Kyrei Zion reported that final audit documents not here yet; due to state by July 31. (Editorial comment: audit will be turned into the state with no public comment/questions/input. The very brief presentation by this year’s auditor at a previous BOCC meeting constitutes the entirety of what the citizens will hear in public - a much abbreviated presentation by the new auditor compared to what previous auditors Eide-Bailey presented to citizens in their many years as county auditors).
- Employee handbook update: accepted as presented. Document was posted on website last week.
- Resolution to designate Community Banks of CO as depository approved.
- agenda items for next meeting: chip seal bid for Elbert Road, Spring Valley Area E into initial warranty period, study sessions, pending hearings, BOE hearings 7/31 & 8/1, Independence hearing continuation, zoning regulations update
No land use hearings.
Meeting continued to July 27 for audit presentation.